Spring is truly here. Warmer winds are sneaking up on us, and the flowers are in bloom. If you live in Texas, you probably notice the abundance of Bradford Pear Trees in full glory – and what a sight to see.
Usually by this time, I realize that my body and mind are ready for a rejuvenation. I usually put aside my winter hibernating actions (i.e. eating heavier foods, not exercising as much, keeping indoors, etc.) and start a new healthy regimen. There is no official regimen. But, as the coats, scarves and turtlenecks are exchanged for breezy blouses, tank tops and shorts (gah!), I naturally start changing things around.
What does this mean?
– More walking – I have no excuse to sit my butt at home hiding from the cold. So, I get out there and walk and the pups loves it! The walks eventually include little bursts of jogging.
– More juicing – When the winter comes, I put aside my juicer for warmer fare. But, when the climate is warm, the juicer is brought back to life. The combinations and nutrients are endless.
– More water – It should come as no surprise that springs quickly turn into summers in Texas and the heat jumps along with it. My body naturally requires more water and I make sure to drink up.
– More whole foods – When the spring bounty arrives (hopefully from my very own garden), I love using every vegetable possible in every cooking method possible. Kale is a favorite!
Source: (Purple Bird Blog)
– More raw foods – I make the switch from soups to salads. And talk about versatility! Salads are the best example, but there are ton of other ways to include raw foods into your diet.
Source: (The Lean Green Bean)
Source: (Living With Healthy Hunger)
– More Whole Foods: It doesn’t help/hurt (depending on the day and my wallet) that I work right across from a Whole Foods – meaning it takes me 5 minutes to walk to it (pending I don’t injure myself crossing the street). And, we do. We get our office water from there so while Binks fills up, I explore. Recently, I bought this:
Mind you, I have the Berry flavor and I throw it into smoothies and Whole Foods apple juice (per their sampling). I think the Berry flavor works perfectly with smoothies as it gives the whole smoothie a much-enjoyed pop!
Now, while I bought the Chocolate flavor, I have no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions/links?
And, I received a very special surprise in the mail recently!
What do you do to gear up for spring? Do you make any changes to your lifestyle for the new season?