I loved going to my OB appointments. One, my OB was the nicest and most professional doctor I have ever met. Two, the hospital offered fresh pastries every single time we went. So, after my appointments, Binks and I would grab a coffee and pastry downstairs. Luckily, my appointments became more frequent towards the end of my pregnancy.
After I delivered, I was very sad that I wouldn’t see my OB anymore. He shared the most important part of my life with us and then, just like that, he was gone. I remember wishing he could be Isaiah’s pediatrician. Not possible.
After my delivery, holding that danish, I surprised myself at how much I would miss these danishes. Paired with a dark roast coffee, the flaky pastry paired with sweet cherries and a hint of almond became a highlight to the day. I wished I could repeat this experience as often as I wanted. Quite possible.
Turns out, as with most things, the homemade version is way better. Using fresh cherries and controlling the sugar, you can get a result that highlights the fresh cherries without being overly sweet. Feel free to use fresh cherries, but I used frozen cherries because I had it on hand.
Cherry Almond Cream Cheese Danish Braid
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
Cream cheese filling:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups of frozen or fresh cherries (keep juice if frozen)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar*
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp milk, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prepare cream cheese filling: Mix together the cream cheese, sugar, and almond extract. Set aside.
- Prepare cherry filling: In a saucepan, over medium heat, add cherries, water, juice, sugar, and cornstarch, and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce the heat to low and stir in almond extract. Mix over low heat until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and cool.
- Roll puff pastry into a thin 12 x 12 square. I roll to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Evenly spread cream cheese mixture down the middle third of the pastry. Place cherry filling on top.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the outer third edges diagonally, spaced about an inch apart. Then, criss-cross the cut edges to form braid.
- Place onto parchment paper and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes., rotate halfway during baking.
- While baking prepare the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. Thin the glaze to your desired consistency. Brush the glaze onto the danish while it’s still hot.
- Serve warm.