We recently visited Binks’ cousin’s son. She had him less than a month after I delivered. However, we wanted to wait a good amount of time as she was recovering from a C-Section, her entire family (including her parents) were recovering from the flu (yes, with the newborn there), and her baby developed a sinus infection. That and scheduling issues allowed us to visit him when he was a little older than one month.
And I was not going to go empty handed. I made one of my favorite muffins. These bakery-style muffins are adored by everyone in my family and I was 90% sure that she would enjoy it as well. I was right. Perfectly moist and full of banana flavor, the muffins also come with a beautiful crumbly cinnamon-y topping. A beautiful presentation with very little effort. The recipe allows you to gather ingredients you likely have in your pantry with some very ripe bananas. If you’re at all like me, you have very ripe bananas at least once a month.
Banana Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar Streusel
adapted from Allrecipes
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 medium-size very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat the bananas, vanilla, brown sugar, egg, and melted butter until everything is incorporated. Mix the wet mixture into the dry until everything is wet and fully mixed. You do not want to over-mix.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, spoon the batter into the muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the streusel topping until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle liberally over all of the muffins. You should have enough to have a good amount on each muffin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 19-20 minutes, until it passes the toothpick test.