The title should really be – Best. Banana. Pudding. Ever. Ever.
As a Texan, I take my banana pudding pretty seriously. I’ve seen serious atrocities attempt to pass as banana pudding. My ideal banana pudding must be vanilla pudding, with banana and vanilla wafer cookies. The most important part to know is that it’s vanilla pudding with bananas. Not banana flavored pudding. But, the banana flavor, after sitting, will get into the vanilla pudding.
I totally agree the ingredients in this recipe may not be the most traditional, but oh good gravy it’s good. The sweetened condensed milk adds the perfect amount of sweetness while the whipped cream keeps it light. The vanilla wafers get cakey after sitting and these seemingly separate ingredients blend wonderfully. Cohesion – it works.
barely adapted from Food Network
- 1 box mini vanilla wafers
- 6 bananas, sliced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch dish with wafers and layer bananas on top.
- In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer.
- Using another bowl, mix the cream cheese and condensed milk until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture.
- Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended.
- Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining bananas and then cookies.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.