There’s always room for ice cream. That is my motto. Always. There is no wrong time for ice cream. That’s the sub motto. All in all – ice cream is my favorite. I usually make it often, but this summer days went and I never got around to it. Recently, I saw this ice cream and I bookmarked it instantly. What a way to preserve summer while also embracing fall.
It’s also a great way to embrace coffee. Around this time, Starbucks becomes a regular part of my life with the reintroduction of the pumpkin spice latte. Now, I can have my coffee and dessert in one beautiful bowl…for breakfast. The flavors in this ice cream – the pumpkin, the spices, the coffee – totally stand out in the most harmonious way.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp granted nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1 cup whole coffee beans
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Whisk occasionally until the mixture is fully heated and the sugar has melted.
- Stir in the coffee beans.
- Heat to just under a simmer, then remove from heat, cover and let it steep for an hour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar. Return the saucepan to the stove and heat again over medium heat. Once the mixture has warmed through, using a ladle, pour a thin stream of the milk mixture into the whisked eggs, whisking constantly so as to not cook or curdle the eggs. Once fully incorporated, return the egg mixture into the milk mix in the saucepan, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon (170-175F).
- Pour the custard through a mesh strainer into a fridge-safe storage bowl. Whisk in the instant coffee powder and canned pumpkin until fully incorporated. Let the mixture cool slightly, cover and place in fridge until completely chilled.
- Place in ice cream maker and freezer per your machine’s instructions.