Whether just for snacking, or for a quick appetizer for a gathering or just because you feel like it, it’s always nice to have a herb dip in your recipe belt. While I usually pair veggies with hummus, this dip is a great alternative to my usual. In addition, I’m more likely to have these ingredients on hand at all times. And, for my veggie-hating friends, this also pairs nicely with water crackers and my favorite kettle sea salt potato chips. But, this creamy – dare I say zippy – dip is just magnificent with fresh-cut vegetables.
I actually served this to a veggie and mayo-hating friend of mine. As he ate the dip with chips, he gave it rave reviews. The ingredients mesh to be greater than the sum of themselves. What that means is that he didn’t taste any mayo or the shallots, which is an ultimate no-no. Without masking each other, every ingredient plays a role and shines through in this cohesive dip.
adapted from Ina Garten
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp shallots, minced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 dashes of hot sauce (i.e. Tabasco) – adjust to taste
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, shallots, green onion, garlic, parsley, dill, salt, pepper and hot sauce in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on medium-high with the paddle attachment until all the ingredients are incorporated and smooth.
- Serve at room temperature.