I love a one-pot main meal. Even if it is a side dish. A healthy side dish at that. Earthy quinoa mixed with hearty chickpeas and tomatoes with a crisp refreshing lime dressing is really comfort food for the summer. I have made this dish often and have failed to obtain a picture of it as it disappears from my kitchen quickly.
I initially bought quinoa to eat for breakfast, in place of oatmeal. However, I find myself finding savory uses for quinoa instead. Well, what I mean is that I made this recipe and I make it at least once a week. It’s simple, delicious and healthy.
Yields approximately 4 servings
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from the 1 zested lemon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 oz) can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium sized red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, butter, olive oil, and salt.
- Cook the quinoa. In a pot, over medium heat, add the cup of quinoa and roast for approximately 2 minutes. Add two cups water, increase to medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Stir once and reduce the heat to obtain a simmer and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes (don’t dare open the lid). Once 15 minutes is up, turn off the heat and remove the pot from the heat. Leave covered for 5 minutes. After five minutes, uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the dressing and stir to coat evenly. Let it sit for 5 minutes so the dressing will have a chance to absorb.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and adjust salt as you see fit. Go easy on the pepper.