On weekdays, what gets me up is the alarm clock (with continuous snooze button problems), and the need to get to work on time to send out e-mails, briefs, discovery and the like.
On weekends, mornings slow down just a little. Even when the world springs forward, I remain in bed and make up for that extra hour. On weekends, what gets me up is an idea. An idea that if I were to get up, I will have enough time to make this.
In bed, the idea of these were magnificent. In execution, these took the (pan)cake.
Adapted from here
- 1/4 cup ground raw buckwheat groats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup Lucky Layla Farms drinkable yogurt (you can use buttermilk or almond milk)*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg [ or 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp warm water)]
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- In a blender, mix together all ingredients.
- Heat non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, spray with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup at a time onto hot pan.
- Heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.**
*Because I used the drinkable yogurt, which was sweet already, I omitted sugar altogether. Same goes for sweetened almond milk. However, if you use buttermilk, or would just prefer a sweeter pancake, use 1 tbsp sugar or up to 2 tbsp turbinado sugar.
**I topped mine with coconut butter and some dulce de leche.
Then, when breakfast was over, what got my butt off my dining chair was the idea of house cleaning, starting my veggie garden, and chores.
What did you do this weekend? Do you cook with buckwheat? Have you had any cooking ideas that you executed? How did it turn out? Do you know where my title comes from?