Happy New Year everyone (albeit late)! Hope you had fantastic and safe New Year celebrations!
Binks and I had a low-key celebration this year, which involved us driving to downtown Dallas to see the fireworks with our puppy.
I have been reading a lot of blogs that reflected on their last year to determine if, how, when and where each of them met and exceeded their goals. As I just started blogging, I thought this would be the perfect time to not look back but to look forward and to be able to reflect in 2012 at the things I will accomplish in 2011. Here is what I will do (some big and some small):
1. Drink 8 glasses of water a day: I used to be religious about this. Not because I was forcing myself but for some reason, I would just always make it a point to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. I have no idea how it worked but it did. Now, I think with work and work at home, I just find myself replacing water with food. Instead of recognizing when I’m thirsty, I’ll eat. This year, I’m going to keep hydrated and make conscious efforts to recognize when I’m hungry and when I’m thirsty. Do you drink 8 glasses a day?
2. Finish the C25K: I was doing really well with the C25K and then India and its preparations happened and I got sidetracked. I could beat myself up over it but I chose to look forward and try again.
3. Blog regularly: I have been increasing the frequency of my blog but I realized that I’m not consistent. I don’t blog at regular times or days. I need to have consistency to help myself out and also my readers. With that said, I also will stop blogging at work and make it a point to either do it before or after. I’m assuming after as I am definitely not a morning person. Are you? When do you blog?
4. Cut down on meat: Towards the end of the year, I was really good about not buying any meat or cooking it in the house. I have to say that just not buying meat has tremendously cut down our grocery bill! Now, I realized that I need to take the next step and make efforts to cut down on meat in general. I actually find it enjoyable to find delicious and healthy vegetarian or vegan recipes. However, when we do the parent visits or go out to eat, I usually end up eating meat. I need to make changes by picking the vegetarian option at a restaurant and just opt out of meat dishes at family gatherings. I do not have any intentions right now of cutting out meat altogether, but just want to make sure I incorporate more veggies and fruits into my life.
5. Cut down on sugar: I would like to blame this on the holidays, but it’s me. I crave sugar – and I know it’s not going to get better on its own. I am a dessert/baking person, as you know, and I love sweets. I crave something sweet after every meal. I have to stop this thought process and make dessert a “sometimes food”. Or make healthier options like dark chocolate squares or fruit. Do you have a sweet tooth? If so, how do you satisfy your dessert craving?
6. Exercise 4 times a week: I was doing really well this (again with the C25K and some exercise videos), but after India and the holidays, I got off the train and need a ticket back on. Since, I can’t figure out what program I’m going to do, I’m just going to move. I’m going to run 3 times a week and do something else the 4th day. Whether it be joining Binks and his yoga or putting on my pilates or my Shred DVD, I’m going to do it. I just need to move. Exercise provides quick results! I notice that I sleep better and have less stress throughout the day when I exercise. You can’t beat that! 🙂 What exercise program are you doing for 2011?
7. Make weekly goals: I read Beth‘s blog regularly and she is awesome at doing this! I have noticed that setting short-term goals helps you really get ready for the long-term goals. Do you make weekly goals? Monthly goals? How does it help you?
8. Prepare lunches and snacks: I have been lazy in my terms. I have not been focusing on lunches or snacks, and just relying on frozen meals for lunch, which are great in a bind but I want to get into the habit of having lunch prepared the night before so I can grab-and-go with something healthy and nutritious options! What do you usually do for lunch? Do you prepare it the night before?
This is my 2011 list, and I am ready and willing to get started!
What’s on your 2011 list? What are your goals?
Happy New Year!